Thursday, October 11, 2012

Conference and the IWFC


10/6/12

Hi Everyone,

This has been a busy week for me. Jake and I decided I might as well take on the Thunderbird International Women and Families club, so I got things up and going this week with a meeting. I have 2 others helping so far with a third who said she would as well. The girl who told me what the club would entail seemed to leave out several things until she had my commitment, though, and it seems like a big, big job. They do holiday activities, ladies night, kids club, english conversation classes, international cooking classes, date nights, family field trips, and opening and closing socials each semester. I am most excited about the date nights, where we can leave kids for 2 hours on a Friday night to play and go have a date, and the family field trips, where we'll get to visit several places we'd have a hard time affording to go if we were on our own. They just pay your way and you can enjoy the outing with your family. Along with all those things, I have to be at about a half dozen other events through the semester, manage e-mails, send a weekly e-mail, and there is a facebook page to keep up. Oh, and for fun, this is the last semester for the 2 helping me right now. :) But they assured me I'll have more help than I know what to do with once we get started, so no worries. :)

And my favorite part of the week, our church’s semi-annual conference, has gone well so far. I think it's as grand an occasion as any, so I got busy baking and making munchies. I also did a lot of blog-reading about how to make it work with a toddler and my preparation paid off. I got her familiar with the prophet and apostles with this video and some cards I printed off and had her play matching. Then today I taped treats to a few I thought might speak and a few others and then when they came on she could match the card to the speaker and have the corresponding treat. I also had a printed sheet of topic pictures they might speak about (if anyone wants these, I can dig up where I found them) and had Emma match those and we talked about what they meant and that they'd be talking about those things and then she actually listened for the words and got excited when she heard them. It was great. Tomorrow I might let her glue the topics on the person.

And last but not in the least the least, I decided to stress about Halloween Costumes since we'll be attending the club Halloween Party Opening Social along with a ward activity. I finally decided that I'm going to be Colette from Ratatouille, or a chef to those who aren't familiar with it, Lauren will be a duck, and Emma will be a princess.
 
-Ashley
The gymboree bubbles I love!

Emma tucked in all her dolls, her whale, and her bunny before falling asleep.

Conference fun!
 

1 comment:

  1. I've read through all of your posts...though I'm only commenting on this one. Don't hate me. :)

    Sounds like you're adjusting well to Arizona and getting involved in a ton of things. Good for you! Good luck getting your club off the ground--I know you'll do a great job! Your girls are looking amazing, too. As always. I cannot believe it's been a year since your last one was born. What the... Time FLIES! She looked adorable on her birthday. Love her hair.

    Well keep the posts coming. I'm loving hearing how things are going!

    ReplyDelete