I've been brewing this desire since Christmas to attempt to cook a turkey. I discussed it with Jake and he pointed out the obvious flaws in my plan, like I have no idea how to cook a turkey and how would we ever manage to use it all. I was deterred, but not for good. I noted last week in my grocery shopping that I could pick up a small turkey for a great price and I did it. I got a 7 pound turkey for about $7.50. (Those better informed mothers out there may see that's not a great deal, but compared to the $3.50 we spend on a little package of deli turkey, it's a great deal for us.) I then set out on a typical internet search where I look to learn how to do something new. I was struck by the first page I read and decided to try this guy's method. It took him 56 years to learn, afterall. So if I could manage to master it on my first attempt, I'd be way ahead of the game.
I had to borrow a roasting pan from my mom and prepare mentally to touch such a big gross hunk of raw meat. I waited until Saturday and put it in so it would be ready for dinner.
Success!! I opened the roasting pan and it looked like a rotisserie chicken, yet it was still a turkey. And it smelled delicious! This guy's big promise of his method is you'll have moist white meat. Well, guess what, it was. Jake usually doesn't like turkey since it is so dry and he readily agreed it was delicious. So perhaps it was beginners luck, perhaps it was because I actually ended up with a half a turkey with all the usual goodies inside already removed, or perhaps I'll continue to have success when I find occasion to cook a turkey. Click on the word "page" if you haven't already found the link to the website I've spoken of. Just in case you ever find the desire to cook a turkey.
Happy Cooking!
Jonny and I have been wanting to make a turkey for a while. I'm totally doing this! Thanks for the info!
ReplyDelete